Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sowing with Tears

Three decades ago, I asked God who I should marry. I got a forceful answer that seemed supernatural. It was a woman I knew from church. She was nice, but I didn't want her for a wife.

So I read books about supernatural guidance; but I did so like a lawyer, looking for a loophole. After that, I rejected what seemed to be God's clear guidance in other ways on other substantial matters.

Then, without drugs, my life collapsed spectacularly, in ways that usually only illegal drugs can bring about. My hope left. It has since been restored.
 
With Jesus, some people ask questions and get answers. Some people get better. Some people get angry. And some people seem to want their question back, like me; like the young man who kneels before Jesus to ask the way to eternal life.
As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honor your father and mother.’" He said to him, "Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth." Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions. [Mark 10:17-22 (NRSV).]
1. A story without an end?

We don’t know whether the young man sells everything he has and follows Jesus.

The young man goes away grieving. But grief often has stages, and the last stage can be acceptance. So: for all we know, it could be that the young man got to the end of his grief and did what Jesus said to do.

After all, his zeal was clear. He ran to Jesus. He knelt at his feet. He followed all of the laws of Moses. If he did so humbly, out of deep longing for God - if Psalm 119 was written on his heart, maybe this meeting between the young man and Jesus led to an excellent result.

2.  Three kings.

When the Israelites under slavery ask Pharaoh for freedom to go to the desert for a festival to the Lord, Pharaoh refuses, and he makes them make bricks at the same pace as before. But he makes them gather their own straw for the bricks; before, he supplied the straw.

When the Israelites come to Rehoboam, Solomon’s son, they ask him to lighten the tax burden that his father had laid on them. He refuses. He says that his little finger is thicker than his father’s loins. He says that his father whipped them with whips; he will whip them with scorpions.

And Jesus, loving the young man who ran to him and knelt, gave him more to give up than the young man thought that he could.

This gives new meaning to the phrase "To those who have, more will be given; and from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away." (Mark 4:25.) I usually think of this as spiritual wealth added to spiritual wealth; but, here, the young man has the law of Moses on his back, and Jesus tells him to carry it without his riches, adding poverty to his burden.

3. A pattern.

When the young man knelt in front of Jesus, Jesus’s disciples had already left everything to follow him (though most of them started with less than the young man). Peter points out their sacrifice. And Jesus promises them reward. But see the warning here, wedged between blessings, easy to overlook:

"Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields, for my sake and for the sake of the good news, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this age—houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children, and fields, with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. [Mark 10:29-30 (NRSV).]
Persecutions. Those who yearn for God above children, parents, brothers and sisters, and material wealth – they will be persecuted. Which, apparently, is the calling of Christians.
Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same intention (for whoever has suffered in the flesh has finished with sin), so as to live for the rest of your earthly life no longer by human desires but by the will of God. [1 Peter 4:1-2 (NRSV).]
In case this bitter herb were not abundant enough in Mark 10, James and John, the sons of Zebedee, come to Jesus and tell him "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you." (Mark 10:35 (NRSV).) Jesus doesn’t choose door-number-one; he asks them what they want before he makes any promise. They tell him that they want to sit at his right hand and his left when he comes into his glory.

Jesus then equates pain and promise -- at least, promise in the afterlife. "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" (Says the man who will, in love of humanity and obedience to God, give himself up to be whipped, spat upon, beaten, basically tortured – the man who will die thirsty under the sun unable to move because his hands and feet are nailed to timber.)
 
James and John say that they can. And Jesus acknowledges that they will – suffer, that is. (Mark 10:29.)

The other disciples apparently aren’t quite paying attention, because they’re resentful of James and John.
 
In Mark 10, people start asking for things in verse 13: parents want Jesus to bless their children.

4. Leaving clothing behind.
 
The caboose in the Mark 10 caravan of gimme’s ends with blind Bartimaeus casting off his cloak, receiving his sight, and following Jesus. And I wonder if Bartimaeus’s gesture, casting off his cloak and going to Jesus to get his sight, is a freighted literary gesture. I wonder if it ties the chain of connected stories that start at Mark 10:13 to something that happens in chapter 14.
 
Because after Jesus is arrested, Mark 14 ends with this:
A certain young man was following him, wearing nothing but a linen cloth. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen cloth and ran off naked.
I have no proof, but I like to think that this is the young man who knelt before Jesus, who, in the end, gave up all he had to follow his Savior.

5.  A man after Jesus's own heart.

It's easy think of the young man who knelt in front of Jesus and mentally rebuke him. But that overlooks that Jesus looked on him and loved him. We know that Jesus is love personified, but biblical declarations of Jesus's love for a specific person stand out.

If the follower who left his garment in the hands of the pursuers was this young man, his change of heart came quickly. This likely would not have happened if he had  rejected what Jesus said. Grief is one thing; rejection is another. The young man grieved. That left open the possibility of change. "May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy." (Psalm 126:5.)

6.  Why the young man was better than me.

I wrote about my rejection of God's guidance. To be clear: to investigate supernatural guidance is a good idea. Not all guidance comes from God. But there were three vital differences between this young man and me.

First, my heart was not right. I was stubborn, proud, and selfish. Thirty years on, after pain, humiliation, and grief, I am less so. I'm more like the young man. Now I fear and trust God more than I did. Those two attitudes toward God might seem paradoxical, but they aren't.

Second, I was determined to go against God's guidance. I wanted to say "No." That was wrong. God defies neat rules, but I think that saying no to God was like stopping my ears and stomping off. It cut off my ability to hear him. God did not have to withdraw his holy spirit or take away his blessing. I cast them out.

Third, I argued with God, but I didn't enter into a conversation with him. Praying always for willingness to do God's will, and, hopefully, meaning it and getting it, I could have said what I thought, speaking openly and honestly with him. The conversation might have been short, or it might have gone on for a time. God might have changed my mind; or he might have shown me that I misunderstood his will; or, maybe, he might have relented. I will never know what the outcome would have been, because I never humbly entered into that conversation.

And that's why the young man in Mark 10 was a giant, compared to me.
 
7. Prayer.
Lord God, your son who freed us from our sins taught us to pray, "do not bring us to the time of trial." We offer that prayer. We also offer ourselves to your will, to your love, to your wisdom, hoping for eternal life. We plead for strength and patience, so that suffering will not strip away our hope. All glory and authority to the one who suffered every sin of the world to be taken into his own body. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment